Monday, November 23, 2009

Loving Messy


The recycle bin is becoming my favorite hot spot for finding perfect painting tools. Nothing around this house is safe from my paints!

As I continue making art every day, I am having a lot of fun being really messy. The more I paint, the messier I get. Feeling freer in my painting has allowed me to reflect on "control" and what that symbolizes in my life. Having Kestan has definitely been a great practice for me in letting go and not taking life so seriously. It's pretty hard to feel "in control" when I've got an almost 2-year-old calling the shots. And how can I be that serious when one of our favorite activities is playing with the fart machine? Now that's some quality homeschooling right there.
This painting acts as my reminder that I don't always have to feel "in control", and that lots of good can come from being messy. I am allowing myself to stress less, clean less, PLAY more and it feels amazing.

Your Personal Reflection: When do you let yourself get messy? Do something really messy today, and leave the mess for a while. Seriously, enjoy being a little out of control. Do something really messy...play in the mud, eat with your hands, finger paint, start a food fight... See how you feel when you allow yourself to stay in the mess.

9 comments:

  1. I think I am going to play with this concept today. Great idea.... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. LOVE the painting. Yes, my art room has been a mess for weeks. I loved it while I was working, and now it is good to have it cleaned up.
    You won't believe this. My daughter wants a fart machine in the WORST way for christmas. I keep saying no way. And then I see one on your site. Sigh.
    I won't ask where to get one, I just won't.
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i come over and play at your house? sounds like a blast! :-)

    love the color and energy in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your painting, it's so beautiful! Messy is marvelous, if that's the kind of results you get in the end. I found an easy recipe online for finger paints and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Maybe this is a sign that I should try this messy idea tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I am always telling the kids we can't paint at certain times because I feel like I won't have "time" to clean up the mess. I am trying so hard to let loose and let them paint and make messes more often!
    I do enjoy making a mess when we cook or bake. And I usually leave the kitchen messy until the next morning.

    Thanks for the reminder to live life, get messy, have fun, and leave the mess for another time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a FABULOUS painting!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a spot you have here... drew me in!

    i got so messy today in the "studio"... i was tip toeing over it all! :)
    i'll ADMIT... i don't like mess... but i find often... the messier... the more i let things "fly"! :)

    i'll remember this post next time i pull out the paints... hopefully this week... let the mess last a bit longer... smile at it! :)

    i love that panting there... so fun & playful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shan, I love this painting! I am sure Kestan is so happy to have creative, free and fun parents! When you were little, I knew of a neurotic mom who couldn't go to be until her son's toys puzzles were put back together. Her son ended up in therapy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!