Monday, March 21, 2011

Nourish Your Mornings

vegetarian egg scramble

I've been in a bit of a cooking rut over the last few weeks.  This kind of happens to me when a new season comes along.  Last Monday it snowed and I vowed that would be my last pot of chili until next fall!  By the next day it was nearly 70 degrees and I couldn't even get myself to eat the leftovers.

My husband and I spent some time together at the bookstore over the weekend.  We love to grab a bunch of magazines and hang out in the coffee shop.  He reached for house and design magazines while I was drawn to the cooking ones.  And after an hour of sifting through them, I felt reinvigorated to get creative in my kitchen.

In the last few days I made a southwestern salad with avocado-lime dressing, soba noodle salad with ginger-peanut dressing and tonight we are having black bean and toasted corn soft tacos. (All recipes from Vegetarian Times' special Quick & Healthy 30-Minute Meals magazine.)

I've got kale chips in the oven...oops...is that what I smell....?

Ok...I'm back and happy to report the kale chips aren't burnt and actually taste really good!

After beginning the green smoothie challenge on Sunday, I've changed up my morning routine a little.  I start each day with one large green smoothie. And then a few hours later I have a late breakfast.  Here's an easy, healthy and super yummy egg scramble that I made up yesterday.

vegan egg scramble 2

Vegetarian Egg Scramble
2-3 eggs
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1/4 cup diced red pepper
salt & pepper to taste
fresh avocado (optional)
whole grain English muffin (optional)
(I used an organic spelt muffin.)


Scramble your eggs like you normally would.  I don't use much dairy in our house so I mix a little almond milk in with my eggs.  Right after adding the eggs to the skillet, add all the other ingredients (except avocado).  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Top the egg mixture on a toasted English muffin.  Yum...


kestans smoothie

And this little guy can't get enough green smoothies!  He was sick yesterday and his cold is completely gone.  He's rarely sick and never stays sick for long, but man, I'm sure the smoothies aided in his speedy recovery.   

If you would like to join us for the green smoothie challenge, read my last post for details.

Your Personal Reflection:  How do you nourish yourself at the start of your day?

(I took these photos today after feeling inspired by Darrah Parker's photo class going on at the Wish Big E-camp.  So many creative beings in the world...(like YOU)!

4 comments:

  1. yum yum! yes, i have been doing green smoothies for breakfast for about a year now. my husband and i can't live without them! now if only ezra would try them. so far it's impossible to get him to try... glad to hear kestan is getting better fast from them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my I am soooo hungry now! Scrambled egg & avocado - sounds heavenly. I have to go get some lunch now. I just wish I had some avocado so that I could make this.

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anushka-I'm excited to continue my green smoothies way beyond these next few weeks. I get excited to make them every morning!

    Kat- Is there anything better than fresh avocado?! Hope you can enjoy this meal sometime soon. Yum....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing cook! That looks yummy. Eden and I are sharing our first green smoothie right now. We both love it! Thanks for being such an awesome influence and friend! I am glad your sweetie is better. These smoothies rock! What took me so long?

    xo,
    ang

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!