Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Bowl of Nourishment

This is my first official week as "work-from-home/stay-at-home" mom. Just so happens that I caught a bug and I'm down and out. Since moms don't get sick days, I'm here with my little guy, trying to take it slow and rest. Luckily, he's enjoying a pajama day with lots of books, Lego's, bubbles and Sesame Street.

I made a wonderfully yummy and nourishing noodle soup, and I thought I'd share the recipe with you. I got the idea from a Whole Foods Turkey Noodle Soup recipe. The version that I made is vegetarian.

Nourishing Noodle Soup
1 T extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves - minced
1 small, chopped onion
Thyme - to taste
6 cups vegetable broth
2 cup extra wide yolk free noodles
4 cups of great northern beans
4 large carrots - sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add thyme. Add broth, noodles, beans, carrots and salt and pepper. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until noodles, carrots and beans are tender.

I had this on low all day on the stove so that we could have a bowl every few hours. Just having the smell in the house made me feel better!

Another tip: If you have a sore throat, try this hot tea: 1 T honey, 1 t apple cider vinegar, half a lemon, couple dashes of cayenne pepper, and hot water. It works amazingly well!

Enjoy and stay healthy!

Your Personal Reflection: What can you do today to nourish your soul?

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy, I want to reach out and take some!

    Rima
    www.yarnydays.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!