Monday, October 26, 2009

Celebrating Peace

To celebrate my mom's birthday this past weekend I took her to a Holly Near concert. Wow! I was so impressed. I've heard Holly's name throughout my childhood, as she has always been a source of inspiration to my mom. My mom discovered her in the 70's when she was in college. She has vivid memories of meeting a woman named Nancy - this cool, women's lib hippie, who didn't shave her legs. She introduced my sweet mom - an innocent, catholic girl from Des Moines, Iowa, to the powerful, empowering music, that activist, teacher and song-writer, Holly Near is known for. Hearing the message of independence and strength in Holly's music had a lasting impression for my mom.

So, what a fun experience for my mom to get to meet Holly, 30 plus years later, with her adult daughter. Holly is on tour with Emma's Revolution, a duo that reminds me of the Indigo Girls. Their harmonies give you goose bumps, their stories inspire you to take action, and these three women are sharing their folksy, musical talents in the name of PEACE.
I encourage you to take a listen to these incredible voices. Here are some YouTube links (listen to the lyrics! I Ain't Afraid, Gentle Angry People, We Believe in Peace, Fired Up) And remember, that you too, have a unique voice that needs to be heard. So awaken, arise and be willing to celebrate your courage, to honor your strength, and to do your part to be of service to others.

Thank you Holly, Emma's Revolution and mom for a memorable evening.

******
The following excerpt comes from Holly's biography:

I do not separate my music from my heart nor do I separate my ideas from my daily life. I open my self up to learning as much as I can about humanity and this mysterious life experience, but I do not relate to political work as a series of "causes." Moment by moment, I integrate what I learn into my personal life, personalizing my politics. It is from this personal place that I write my songs. -Holly Near

Your Personal Reflection: Are you OPEN to learning as much as possible, about yourself, and about life? How can you integrate what you learn each day, into your personal life, and how can you use what you learn to help others? Be at peace, now, and share that peace with all those you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!