Wednesday, January 13, 2010

This Adventure Called Life


"I am an artist."  It took me years before I could say that without cringing or laughing, or feeling just plain weird about it.  I can now say it with confidence.  I can also say that I am actually living, for the first time, the life I've imagined.

It's taken me years to get to this place.  I'm the happiest I've ever been.  But believe me, it hasn't come without struggle. Over 10 years ago, I was living in Boulder, Colorado, surrounded by the most amazing nature.  To this day, I still get so much of my inspiration from the mountains.  I can smell a ponderosa pine and feel like I've just gone to heaven.  When I was living there, I was struggling to find my place in the world. I didn't really know what to do with myself and my mantra was, "I'm not good at anything."  Then, a beautiful soul entered my life and she introduced me to The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron.

We gathered 5 amazing women, and for twelve weeks, we dove deeply into the book.  Every week we took turns leading each other in creative experiences.  Sometimes we felt vulnerable.  Sometimes our fears and worries were exposed. Many times we discovered new things about ourselves.  Things we liked. Things we didn't. And the community we built together changed ALL of us.

It took a lot of practice, but soon, my "not good at anything" mantra changed.  I started believing in myself, and discovered a whole new world of expansion and endless possibilities.  Ultimately, I learned to open my heart and TRUST my intuition.

This trust led me down a new path.  I moved back to the Midwest.  A 5-year relationship came to an end.  I dove deeply into all forms of creative expression.  I journaled like crazy.  I discovered yoga and meditation.

I've been teaching yoga for over 9-years and have embraced it as part of my lifestyle.  For me, yoga is about celebrating the present moment, connecting more deeply to my heart center, and living life with compassion.

Practicing yoga has taught be that I am the creator of my own life.  I now know that everything in my external world is a reflection of my internal world.  So the more I take time to journey within, the more peaceful and happier I feel.  Believing this has led me to some bigger, more recent changes, like leaving a job with a consistent paycheck, to run my own business, and stay home with my son.

I truly believe that we ALL deserve happiness.  We ALL are creative beings.  We ALL have the potential to live more fully, boldly and freely.  And, the more I learn and grow, the more I want to share with others.

The e-course I've created, Inside Out: A Creative Adventure of Self-Discovery is a culmination of my life's searching, reflecting, exploring and discovering.  I've combined my love and appreciation for the creative process, art, writing, journaling, yoga and meditation, into this course as tools for self-awakening.  I know from experience that only so much can change when we start externally. The real change, the deep change, the ever-lasting change - the kind that breaks cycles, and thought patterns, and self-sabotaging behaviors - happens when we start from the INSIDE, and work OUT.

I am an artist.  I am a yoga teacher.  I am a creativity coach.  I am a mom.  I am an explorer.  But mostly, I just AM.  I am a student of life, and I'm so excited to share my journey with you.

I have extreme enthusiasm to meet you and to learn about your journey...

Your Personal Reflection: 
Are you ready to create the life you love, from the Inside Out?
(psst...My course starts Monday, January 18th!)

8 comments:

  1. Ok, that's it! I'm crying. I feel so close to you! I have bought this wonderful book last year and didn't take the time to read and live it. I think I will seek for other women to do it with me, like you did. So inspiring!
    And one my 2010 goal is to introduce yoga and meditation in my daily life. I really want it! But it's not that easy...But I'll stick to my goal. Again, you inspire me!
    Since I have been a stay-at-home mom, I have started to express my true nature. My creative part of me is more alive. It feels so good! And I want more!!
    It's incredible how life is made! Few days ago, I have asked life to bring me inspiring people in my life in order to achieve my goals in a zen way...and I found you!

    Amicalement,

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound as if you are now very fulfilled by your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Artist's Way!

    I have worked through it twice and really, really, really need to do it again.

    Soon.

    I still try to do the morning pages as often as possible, but they don't get done often enough.....

    This book really brought me up out of a deep, dark hole.

    And, yes, I am ready for change.

    Inside Out, Outside In, Sideways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the glimpse of your journalling and art! What great quotes to live by!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon,
    I'll take 2-3 minutes to leave you a note here. I read your comment on McommeMaman blog yesterday and capture your link. M is a really good and close friend and we connected on very similar interests. Bit by bit I discover your universe... I can't wait to discover your felt art (do you know Andrea Graham? find her website from google or by my blog) I'm quite busy actually and won't be able to follw your e-course but I'll became your new virtual friend!!! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a lot of beauty going on here and I'll be back to enjoy it again.

    best wishes
    Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've had such an inspiring journey! can't wait for monday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. (((big hugs and love you gorgeous woman, you!))) So glad to have met you!!

    The Artist's Way had a profound effect on me as well and I know you have so much to offer others. Wishing you loads of luck in your awesome e-course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!