Saturday, January 16, 2010

I Love Happy


Two years ago today, this sweet angel entered the world.  He took his first breath at the exact time of this post, 10:27 p.m., after 36 intense hours of labor.  My life has never been the same.

Dear Kestan,
As we celebrate you on your birthday, I am flooded with memories of those first few weeks of getting to know each other.  Like when I looked into your eyes for the first time, when you nursed every 40 minutes all day and night, when you fell asleep warmed by the blue lights, and when you had your first bath at home.  I remember all those sleepy, dark, winter nights, feeling a sense of not knowing what to do when you cried, and yet, trusting it would all be ok.  I remember when your dad and I would stare at your sweet face and breathe in your sweet scent, and cry with complete joy and wonderment.

I remember when you lived inside me, we would sing "Happy Birthday" to you every Thursday as you turned a week older.  Now that you are two, you are the one singing "Happy Birthday".  (Although, since going to Hallmark's 100th year celebration this past week you insist on singing "Happy Birthday, Hallmark" instead!)

I knew that becoming a mother was something I was ready for, but I had no idea how natural it would feel.  It’s as though I’ve had this mothering instinct inside me all along, just waiting for the day you came into the world.  And, now, whenever I need it, I can tap into the wisdom that has been passed on from generations of mothers before me.

The other night, as you were drifting to sleep you sat up in the dark and whispered, "Mommy, happy.  Baby, happy.  Milk, happy.  Bed, happy."  I will never forget how precious it was to hear you share all the things in that moment that made you feel happy.  Well, baby Kestan - my sweet, tender, funny, powerful, loving soul who is now a big two-year-old boy - I feel blessed to know you, I am grateful to be your mommy, and yes, I am very, VERY happy.

Your Personal Reflection: What makes you feel happy?

8 comments:

  1. Oh - he is so gorgeous!! My son is now 31, but I still remember the moment of his birth .... being a very sensible child, he arrived 3 weeks early after a labour of 8 hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that my 17 year old daughter and 16 year old son still tell me they love me, hug me, kiss me and want to be in my bed snuggling (sometimes to the point of annoyance!) What a blessing a loving child is! Enjoy him-he is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy B-day little cute boy!

    My life has never be the same after I became a mom. My life is fulfilled with joy, gratitude, love and creativity since then. I'm in love with my life and my family! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your happiness and joy! I'm not a mother myself, but love to see mom's who share their love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is gorgeous but then of course you know that already!x My children are 33 and 34 boy and a girl. they came on their due dates as their father ordered them to! he was in the Army then and only had a few days holiday before going away for months! so like good little army brats they obeyed!Ha
    So glad l found your site and yes l have subscribedxlyndax

    ReplyDelete
  6. What makes me happy at this moment is your happiness with your beautiful boy. Happy Birthday Kestan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome way to celebrate his day - think how fun it will be to re-read this post years from now!

    One thing that makes me happy is the laughter we (my hubby and my 2 boys) share around the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww, Shannon. Kestan is a beautiful, beaming boy. What a tender, most loving tribute to him. It makes me remember all the joys of being a new mom, even if it's not the first time around. Happy birthday, happy boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!