Friday, January 8, 2010

With Gratitude, I Paint (ouch!)


So I mentioned that I had a little "spill" the other night.  Well, as my brother puts it, I basically karate-chopped a balloon, and let's just say the balloon won.  These socks are the culprit, I tell you!  Note to self: If you ever feel the urge to jump high off the ground to kick a birthday balloon into oblivion, than please do NOT do it wearing these socks on slippery hardwood floors again.  Ever.  Your butt thanks you.

My crash landing resulted in an extremely bruised tailbone and two sore wrists. And I'm talking really sore.  Like, I couldn't even squeeze out toothpaste, or brush my hair, or change a diaper (although, I didn't miss that as much). I haven't experienced that kind of physical pain since a ski accident several years ago.

The reason I'm telling you this is that I have discovered a whole new respect for my wrists.  These little joints do so much activity in one day, and I've never paid much attention to them. So I find it appropriate that the Creative Every Day theme for January happens to be about the "body."  I couldn't resist doing a quick journal page to pay respect and tribute to my wrists.  I have learned that they pull, twist, turn, hug, lift, love, express, reach, expand, dance, hold and help me move through my day with ease.

I celebrate you, wrists, and thank you for ALL you do for me.  Happy healing.

Your Personal Reflection: When's the last time you really noticed all the amazing, subtle things your body does on a daily basis?  Take some time to be present, to notice, and to deeply look at your body.  Go ahead...no one's watching...give yourself a hug and tell your body "thanks!"

9 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness! I adore this homage to your wrists!

    And is it ok that I giggled a little bit when reading about how it went down? I think it's ok because last night, doing something equally goofy (chasing the hubster around the house to put my cold hands under his shirt), I slipped (also in socks on hardwood) and fell so hard on my tailbone that I burst into tears. ouch! I spent the evening with a bag of frozen brussel sprouts on my rear and it still hurts so bad today. kinda funny, kinda not so funny. :-)

    Hope we both heal up quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I have to giggle at you girls! I am picturing an art work entitled, "Califlower butt". I think it's so true, the song lyrics. "Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got til it's gone".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha... You guys are funny. SO glad we can laugh at ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny when it happens to someone else!! I've been choked with the cold since Christmas Day, so I would love to stop coughing .... so yes, you should appreciate and care for your body (ok, so I'm drinking wine while typeing this!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. if there was a contest for the body prompt, you just won it! OUCH! so we'll have our next coffee fun together standing up, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember reading Martha Graham's memoir and she wrote about the glory of the foot. I was getting a massage once and I said, aloud, "Behold the wonder of the foot." I didn't mean to, it just slipped out. LOL.

    Hope your lively wrists are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aimee- ha ha, let's sit for coffee...my bum is healing quite nicely.

    julie - love that story. i'm going to remember that the next time i get my massage. which reminds me...i need to get that scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I hope the bruises and pain go away soon! About two years ago I hurt my thumb - what a disaster ... I suddenly realized that without that tiny part of my body I was pretty useless - I couldn't write, hold my knife, open doors, turn keys, open bottles, open the tap, comb my hair, play the piano, close buttons, tie my shoe laces ... It is a lesson that made me realize that a seemingly insignificant part of a bigger system can be pretty important!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OUCH! I am so sorry this happened to you, but it is wonderful how you were able to find a way to be grateful out of it. Thank you for the reminder to not take my health and physical abilities for granted. sending energy for healing your way...
    blessings~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!