Friday, August 6, 2010

My Garden is Flourishing (and new recipes!)

We have gobs of fresh-from-the-garden vegetables over here, which happens to be perfect timing since we recently cut our monthly grocery budget.  Starting seeds in late March and planting our garden at the beginning of June has really paid off and brought a lot of joy to our family.

Enjoy, for a moment, the sexiness of these organic, freshly picked beauties!

Sticking to one of my tips for meal planning on a budget, I continue to find ways to use similar ingredients in a variety of meals.  Here are a few easy ideas...

Basil Cucumber Tomato Salad
handful of fresh basil
4-5 medium cucumbers
4-5 small tomatoes
2 T (or so) olive oil
2 T (or so) balsamic vinegar
dash of salt & pepper


Peel the cucumbers.  Before cutting, take a fork and draw lines with it down the length of the cucumber.  Do this all the way around. This is a tip I learned from my husband, who learned from his grandmother, and it helps the cucumbers fully absorb the dressing (plus it just looks pretty).  Slice the cucumbers as thinly as you can.  Chop (and seed) the tomatoes.  Chop the fresh basil.  Mix in a bowl.  Add your oil and vinegar to your liking - enough to coat the salad.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit for 4-6 hours.  This salad is good for a few days and is SO yummy fresh.

Summer Tomato Feta Pasta Salad
1 package of pasta
handful of fresh basil
3 medium cucumbers
2 cups of cherry tomatoes (or tomatoes of your choice)
2 T (or so) olive oil
2 T (or so) balsamic vinegar
dash of salt & pepper
1/4 cup feta cheese

Cook any pasta you like according to package (I used this one).  Rinse, drain and let cool.  Mix sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper - adding more oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.  Toss with chopped basil and feta cheese.  Refrigerate and eat when cold.  Enjoy.

Your Personal Reflection:  Feed your soul with fresh foods of the season and notice how good you feel! 

6 comments:

  1. Your recipes are so delicious! Your garden is doing great things ~ amazing! How do you harvest your basil? I see people pick off leaves and I see other cut off part of the plant? I am afraid to cut but I would like bushier plants. Tonight we are going to have your basil cucumber tomato salad with some homemade pizza!
    Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a satisfying feeling to harvest fresh food from your own garden and know that you truely are eating healthy organic produce. I am also loving your recipes - I am going to cook up your baked falafels over the weekend, they sound delicious.

    I am also going to post a Black Bean Soup with guacamole & cornchips during the week if you are interested.

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela-
    I cut my basil off where it "forks" or splits. A farmer at the market told me to do it that way and I find it does make the basil grow better and become more bushy, rather than just growing straight up. How did your salad go? We just had ours with homemade pizza, too!

    Janine - I am VERY interested in your Black Bean Soup recipe! I'll be on the lookout for it...we love black beans in this house!

    Happy weekend to you both and thanks for the comments.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, made the falafels and they were a huge hit - loved them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These recipes look amazing, and the perfect way to enjoy the bounty of the end of the season

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can't wait to try the Summer Tomato Pasta Salad recipe. I LOVE feta. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!